Saturday, July 27, 2013

Educational Applications

In my last few blog posts, we have been talking about students with reading and writing disabilities. In my blogs, I discussed numerous assistive technology (AT) available to help meet these students specific needs so that they can begin to succeed in the classroom. In this blog post, I am going to discuss a different type of struggling student you may come across in your classroom or at home, a student with a math disability. Through my next couple of blogs, I am going to discuss the many different AT devices that are available for students with a math disability and which devices help specific weak math areas.

The purpose of this blog post is to help educators know what questions to ask when they are selecting educational applications for their students.

"The term educational applications is used in the ensuing discussion to encompass both software programs and interactive Web-based activities" (Dell, A.G., Newton, D.A., & Petroff, J.G.).



Key Questions that should be considered when selecting Educational Applications:

  1.  "What is the intended outcome of the use of the educational application?"  Example: Strengthen problem solving or building speed and accuracy with math facts (Dell, A.G., Newton, D.A., & Petroff, J.G.). 
  2. "Is the educational applications likely to fulfill its stated purpose? (Dell, A.G., Newton, D.A., & Petroff, J.G.). 
  3. Math facts
  4. "Can the educational applications be used as an alternative to traditional classroom activities to enhance students' participation?" (Dell, A.G., Newton, D.A., & Petroff, J.G.). 



As someone who has a math disability myself, I was very interested in this content. Although there was not too much AT around when I was younger, as I read the key questions that teachers should ask, I couldn't help but wonder what my teachers would've chosen for me. I couldn't help but wonder if I could've benefitted from any type of AT. 



 

Dell, A.G., Newton, D.A., & Petroff, J.G. (2012). Assistive Technology in the Classroom. Boston. PEARSON.





No comments:

Post a Comment