Sunday, June 30, 2013

Apps For Autism

In my last blog post I talked about the PROLOQUO2GO iPad app. PROLOQUO2GO is one of the many apps on the iPad that provide communication for children with Autism or children who are nonverbal, who were not able to communicate before. In this blog post, I am going to talk about two teachers, Ian Stewart and Stacey Carol and their experience with using apps on the iPad to help the Autistic and nonverbal students in their class be able to communicate and show their knowledge.

Apps to help students with Autism.

Parent's Perspective:
  Before the iPad, parents of Autistic and nonverbal children truly believed that their kids knew more than they were showing. Now with the help of the iPad, the parents know that they were right!!!


Child's Perspective:
 Since using the iPad is much more stimulating than using a pencil and paper, students with Autism and students who are nonverbal are actively engaged in their learning. Through using the iPad, these student's attention spans are enhanced and they are able to focus more because they are more engaged and interested in what they are doing!
 

Teacher's Perspective/ Why the iPad is Useful in the Classroom:
   Stacey and Ian love using the iPad in their classrooms because the iPad apps helped them find out how much their students really did know. Ian admitted that he did not know the extent of one of his students vocabulary, until he started using the app! Using the iPad apps in the classroom also gives the teachers an insight on what the student likes. Ian admitted that he didn't know his student liked operas until the student used the opera. Teachers also love that using the iPad helps children with Autism socialize more with their peers!


While watching the video, parents expressed that even before the iPad, they knew that their children knew a lot more than they were letting on and that they felt that before the iPad their children were trapped inside their own  body. Hearing that statement made me think of Roger. While explaining to Roger what I want him to do in the pool, and modeling it for him, it really does seem like he is not paying attention. I prompt Roger multiple times to do what I'm doing, but it's almost impossible for me to tell if he understands since he is not able to tell me and he is not looking at me.  I typically end up doing the skills with Roger, rather than Roger performing the skills on his own, which can be frustrating at times, especially when I have a whole group of other kids who need to get a turn as well. I try to keep my frustration level down, but sometimes I do feel that Roger can do more than he currently is. One day last week, when Roger and I were in the pool and I got especially frustrated, Roger pulled me close to him and gave me a hug. Not only did this warm my heart, but it let me know that Roger WAS paying attention and was acknowledging my frustration. This scenario made me relate to the parents feeling that their child was stuck inside their body. It seemed to me, at that moment in the pool, that Roger was listening and wanted to show me that he could do the skills on his own, but his body wouldn't let him.

To see more of Ian and Stacey's success of using iPads in the classroom, watch the video below!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment